Quiet Room Required
For those that don’t know, a “snug room” is a room to curl up in, warm and cosy!! A good way is to convert an attached garage into a cosy little room. The other use is for a kid-free zone, a relaxing place for parents.
Changing a garage into a room is a change of use for the garage. The garage conversion requires full building regulations to be applied, with the staged inspections during construction.
When houses are built, the floor of an integral garage may not have the insulation that the rest of the house has, and external walls may not be of the same standard. In this project, part of the garage wall was single skin so that was sorted out.
New Room Construction
The steps in construction, as seen in some of the pictures below:
- Remove the garage door
- Construct a cavity wall to the single skin part of the garage
- Construct a wall at the front with stone cills to match the existing house.
- Fully insulated all the walls with insulated plasterboard
- Asphalt the floor to prevent damp over the existing concrete
- Install a window to the front, to match the existing house windows
- The existing internal access was retained from the kitchen.
- Installed a heating radiator in the new room
- Construct a new ceiling with spotlights
- Construct a cupboard to hide the electric gas and boiler
The end result of the garage conversion is a cosy, warm room, separate from the rest of the house.