Quiet Room Required
For those that don’t know, a “snug room” is a room to curl up in, warm and cosey!! A good way to get a snug room is to convert an attached garage into a cosy little room. The other use is for a kids free zone, a relaxing place for parents.
From Garage to Snug Room
Changing a garage into a room, is a change of use for the garage. As such it requires full building regulations to be applied, with the staged inspections during construction.
When houses are built, the floor of an integral garage may not have the insulation that the rest of the house has, and external ways may not be of the same standard. In this project, part of the garage wall was single skin
New Room Construction
The steps in construction, as seen in some of the pictures below:
- Removed the garage door
- Construct a cavity wall to the single skin part of the garage
- Construct a wall at the front with stone cills to match the existing house.
- Fully insulated all the walls with insulated plasterboards
- Asphalt the floor to prevent damp over the existing concrete
- Install a window to the front, to match the existing house windows
- The existing internal access was retained from the kitchen.
- Installed a heating radiator in the new room
- Construct a new ceiling with spotlights
- Construct a cupboard to hide the electric gas and boiler
The end result is a cosy, warm room, separate from the rest of the house.